Search This Section
Section = Updates
President's Message: March, 2009
Karen L. Mohammadi, P.E., AICP, PTOE
Spring is in the air! For all of us SDITE folks, that means that it is time for our Annual Meeting. The Alabama section could not have selected a better site for the event than the Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort and Spa. Our members will enjoy natural beauty and luxury, not to mention award winning golf courses! Please join us for the 57th Annual Southern District ITE Meeting in Birmingham from April 19 through 22, 2009.
This year is off to an interesting start for transportation professionals as we wait to see how the stimulus bill will impact our companies, businesses, universities and communities. This uncertainty may have some people rethinking their involvement in organizations like SDITE. You should. This is the perfect time to step up and take a more active role. As a District we have made great strides in being member focused but we need your help to keep the momentum rolling and get projects completed.
How are we becoming more member-focused?
We have renewed our commitment to provide financial incentives to section and student section presidents to attend the Annual Meeting. We also expanded this program to cover faculty advisors this year.
- In an effort to help all current and future District Officers and Committee members to better understand their roles, Past President Craig Hanchey has taken on the rewrite of both the Section Bylaws and District Operations Manual. The Bylaw changes will allow the District to provide our members with the ease of electronic voting (if members approve). Bylaws and Operations Manual
- We have added a new award program in an effort to honor and recognize outstanding educators. Award Chairperson Steve Strength and his committee have a tough job ahead selecting one person among the many great candidates with which our District is blessed.
- Bill Seymour continues to do an outstanding job leading the Strategic Planning Committee. The committee needs members from each section to represent their sections on all subcommittees. I encourage SDITE members to ask their section officers and section representatives how they can serve. Cindy Pionke has offered to chair the Annual Meeting Subcommittee of the Strategic Planning Committee. Her leadership will bring much needed support to our future Local Arrangement Committees. Her committee is currently working on rewriting the Annual Meeting Manual, as well.
- We have a new student section. South Carolina State’s charter was presented to them at their March 24th meeting. Thank you South Carolina section and all members involved in making this happen.
- We also have a new website in the works. Stay tuned for more information but the new site will include some updated features and will reduce the workload of our section members in maintaining our website. Much appreciation goes to Mike Reese and Craig Hanchey in maintaining our site over the past years.
I look forward to working with and for each of you this year. See you in Birmingham!
Go to the President's Message Archive